Monday, May 3, 2010

SHOP TALK

Its an exciting time for my wife and I.... Our baby girl is 1 week overdue today, and we are going insane with anticipation. I took a couple days off work so that we could go to doctor's appointments together, but I also managed to squeeze in quite a bit of time working on projects. I think two of the coolest things ever to happen in my garage actually took place last week. I bought a serious band saw on clearance, and I made my first japanese hand plane. I will absolutely have to post pictures, but as usual, don't have any at the moment.

The band saw is a 14" Delta 3/4 HP model, which isn't quite the ultimate band saw I'd like to one day own, but, nonetheless, it can cut a super thin slice of a 6X6 without too much effort. It is already my go to tool in the garage, and I find myself using it for just about every cutting operation I do.

The hand plane is really cool. I've always wanted to make one, but never really had a reason to. I recently realized that my workbench top had cupped over time and was far from flat. I needed a good way to flatten it, and so decided to make my first plane a 24" jointer plane with a 2" iron. I built it out of a huge chunk of purple heart that I had in my wood pile, and made the cross pin and wedge out of bubinga. It came out much better than I thought it would, and after a whole lot of planing, I have a nice flat table to work on.

My next task is going to be building a couple saw horses and a plywood table top for a portable table. I relaized that I didn't have a place to set things when I was done with them... (I don't want to store things on my workbench, which is my main working surface, and a lot of things started to pile up on the table saw,  which was a huge hassle when I needed to cut something).

Once I have my new table, I'm going to build a toy chest/bench....

1 comment:

Lisa Young said...

It is the most beautiful plane I've ever seen. You are a master. ;)