Thursday, October 14, 2010

CELLIST

About three weeks ago, I started an excellent experiment. After trying my Aunt's Limoncello, I thought it would be interesting to try making a new drink in the same style, but with a little twist. I decided that tangerinicello would have to be good, but, unfortunately, tangerines are not available right now. Instead, I picked up some tangellos, and will be attempting a surely brand new flavor, tangellocello. Just for the sake of good science, I decided to make some old school limoncello as well, so that we'll have a control to compare the new flavor to... wink, wink.....

This whole limoncello thing always seemed really complicated to me for some reason, but I was happily surprised to find out that it is actually quite simple. Buy a bottle of everclear from the liquor store and soak the rind of 10 citrus fruits or so in it for 2-8 weeks.... I used 1/2 a bottle and six fruits for each flavor.

I grated the zest from the lemons and tangellos, and got about 45 grams by weight for each.
This went into bottles with 1/2 of a 750 ml bottle of everclear. After something like 40 days, I'll strain the rind out of the alcohol and mix in some cream and simple syrup... at that point, the citrus showdown will begin....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This looks interesting. I like the scientific way you are going about it. By what date will you be testing the results? Thanks for Olive's photo. Toooo cute.