Wednesday, October 27, 2010

SHOWDOWN

After letting my citrus rinds steep in everclear for four weeks, I finally got to make my first batches of crema di tangellocello and crema di limoncello.

I started out with the tangello liquor, and made a mixture of 25% alcohol, 25% sugar, and 50% cream. I was disappointed in this mixture because it froze hard and it was very, very strong... too strong...

After taking a few days to think about it, I made a syrup of 50% water and 50% sugar, which I added to the tangellicello until it tasted better. It is now delicious! The only problem is that the tangello flavor is a bit milder than I would like it to be, (because of all the doctoring) and the mixture freezes enough that it can't be poured right out of the freezer...

With a little experience under my belt, I adjusted my recipe for the lemon liquor. For my second attempt, I made a mixture of 50% sugar, 25% whole milk, and 25% heavy cream.  The total came out to right around seven cups. I slowly added this mixture to the liquor until it tasted right... For 1.25 cups of lemon alcohol, I used about 5 cups of milk mixture....
This one came out just right! The citrus flavor is strong, the sugar counteracts the harshness of the liquor, and there is just enough of that lovely, warm, boozy glow...

Here is a more detailed run-down of the process... I'll give proportions for a full bottle of everclear:

Step 1: Strain the rind out of the liquor.... You may have to pour some of the liquor back into the bottle to get all the rind out...

Step 2: Place the strained rind, along with two vanilla beans, 8 cups of Sugar, 4 Cups Heavy Cream, and 4 Cups Whole Milk into a large pot. Heat gently until the sugar dissolves completely... If you rub the liquid between your fingers, you shouldn't feel any granules....
 
Step 3: Strain any solids out of the milk mixture.
Step 4: Add the milk mixture to the liquor slowly. Taste as you go to make sure you don't over-dilute your liquer...
Step 5: Freeze and enjoy!

I thought that there would be a clear winner between the lemon and tangello flavors, but I have to say, that I really like them both in their own way. Properly made, I think the tangello flavor would be every bit as good as the lemon...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And is your math class doing as well as the limoncello??
Aunt Judy

Anonymous said...

Does Olive like it?

STEVE said...

The math class is doing just as well as the limoncello, but it isn't nearly as exciting...

Olive enjoyed the flavor of the limoncello, but she thought there was a little too much dairy in it for her taste...