Monday, June 7, 2010

CHOCOLATE LOBOTOMY

My wife's dessert of choice is a brownie... not just any brownie, though, they have to be really goopy and undercooked. Quite frankly, with egg in the batter... this is a little bit gross. We happened on a discovery today that may be the beginning of a new dessert era. Called chocolate cobbler, or hot fudge cake, this creation has it all... fully cooked, crispy, chewy, and goopy... all in one glorious dish! I don't think the recipe we used is THE recipe, but I think it is definitely on its way. It had the goopy and the cakey part, but could have used more chewy and crunchy.

I thought the baking process was really interesting. It started with a thick layer of batter that was spread into the bottom of a baking dish. This layer was then covered with a dry sugar and cocoa mixture.

Some hot tap water was poured over the top of the whole thing, and it went straight into the oven, with no stirring.

This was the result... a nice, moist, cakey center, a pretty good upper crust, and a liquidy, oozy, rich chocolate sauce under it all.

This is a definite keeper, but next time, I plan on trying a different recipe... one that will hopefully give a bit more crunchiness and chewiness to the whole thing...

This is the last thing I remember seeing... When I regained consciousness, all the chocolate was gone, and I had the strangest feeling in my stomach....

No comments: