Saturday, June 5, 2010

MITER SLEDDING

Yesterday, I built my miter sled, and it works like a charm. I needed to cut some 45 degree miters for the toy chest I'm building and decided to do it right. Here is a picture of the jig. The whole thing slides on two runners that fit in slots on the saw table. The two fences are at 90 degrees to each other, which means that if I cut one side of a miter on the left, and the other on the right, I will always get a nice 90 degree corner. I also added a little clamping fixture which holds the work piece in position while it is being cut. This allows me to keep my fingers well away from the blade, and ensures that my cuts don't drift or shift as I push the sled.
I really like the little hold down clamps on this sled, and plan on incorporating similar clamps and a flip stop on the crosscut sled that I already have...

No comments: