Friday, June 25, 2010

THOUGHTS AND IDEAS

I heard something on the radio the other day that really made me think. China has had a one-child per family policy for some time now, which I always thought was strange and horrifying, but I never really gave it more thought than that. Here's the part where my mind blew... If you think about the children of the first generation of only children, you'll realize that their parents had no brothers or sisters... If you think about what that really means, you'll realize that after just two generations, Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins do not exist! Of course, I'm sure that lots of people can get away with having more than one child, but the idea that a country could push extended family nearly out of existence is terrifying to me.

On a completely different note, I think everyone should go to http://www.ted.com/ and watch a talk that sounds interesting to them. Just about every subject is covered, and I think there is something for everyone. I never cease to be amazed and inspired by the ideas and information that I discover on that website. There is a link on the right side of this blog, but I think everyone should watch this video, which I found completely fascinating and important:

Aditi Shankardass: A second opinion on learning disorders Video on TED.com

I also thought these two were really interesting:
Pattie Maes and Pranav Mistry demo SixthSense | Video on TED.com

Keep in mind that this one is from 2006...the first TED video I ever saw, the one that got me hooked....
Jeff Han demos his breakthrough touchscreen Video on TED.com

No comments: