Tuesday, December 8, 2009

THE GREAT UNKNOWN

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about religion for some reason. The best way I can describe my feelings on religion is to say that I have come to the conclusion that I do not know who or what God is, and I am not sure that it is possible for myself or anyone else to truly know with certainty. In spite of this, I believe that a benevolent God does exist.

I think I am okay with this because I can't change what I truly, deep down believe, whether I'd like to or not, and to say otherwise would be a lie.

It turns out that there is a term for my way of thinking, and that term is "agnostic theism." I just happened upon this discovery recently, and I'm not sure why, but I have been intrigued by the fact that there is a word for what I actually believe. I realize that there are possibly some bad connotations that go along with the word agnosticism, but I am not really sure why. To help clear the air, here is a definition that I really like: "An agnostic theist is one who views that the truth value of certain claims, in particular the existence of god(s) is unknown or inherently unknowable but chooses to believe in god(s) in spite of this...An agnostic theist can also be a person who believes in a god(s), but does not understand how it or they work"

That sounds like what I believe right now. I like that I found this term by starting with my beliefs, rather than starting with a religion and trying to fit my beliefs to it. Just to be clear, this is not a religion and does not change anything about me at all, but for some reason, it is nice to know that there is a term for my current way of thinking.

No comments: