Saturday, December 19, 2009

WHITE WHALE

I just realized something that I had long forgotten.... The whole reason I got interested in baking bread in the first place was that I wanted to recreate the perfect panettone.

It all started when my Aunt gave me a panettone for Christmas one year. It had thick ribbons of creamy Gianduia zig zagging through the whole thing, and was just hands down delicious. It was so darn good, I even saved the label from the box along with all our Christmas stuff. The following year, I set about finding it, and discovered, to my absolute horror, that the company that made it no longer sold that flavor. I was devastated, and then and there vowed to one day recreate that glorious masterpiece in my own kitchen.

I wasn't much of a baker, and it seemed like you kind of had to know what you were doing to make a really good panettone that wasn't just a cheap knockoff, so I decided to hone my skills on some easier recipes. I got so excited about making just plain old bread that I only tried making the panettone one time. It was good, but it wasn't panettone. I got frustrated and forgot the whole endeavour, but no more! My vow must be kept!

I'm already running out of time this year, as Christmas is fast approaching, but the hunt for my white whale of a panettone must go on...

No comments: