Friday, December 18, 2009

LOWE ETHICS

I feel like the extended warranty thing is getting a bit out of control. I bought a barbecue at Lowe's a few nights ago (I finally got a Weber kettle of my own!), and they offered me a one year protection plan for an extra ten bucks. This really caught me off guard... (I thought these things were only offered at electronics stores) and I actually considered it for a half second before my better judgement kicked in. I already thought these plans were bogus, but this really opened my eyes to what a rip off they can really be.

First of all, and most obviously, it was a charcoal barbecue... If that thing was destroyed within a year, what the heck were they selling me anyways? Shouldn't I get a year's use out of a good barbecue with no questions asked?

Second, I was buying a Weber barbecue, and I knew that Weber already provided their own 2 year warranty....so....what the heck were they trying to sell me? Have big corporations finally just conceded to ripping us off right out in the open?

How long is it going to be before we're offered protection plans on milk, or paper, or t-shirts???

As you can see, the whole principal of this thing really disturbed me for some reason. I'm just hoping my uninsured barbecue will hold together long enough to smoke some brisket so that I can get rid of this bitter taste I was left with.....

No comments: