Thursday, January 7, 2010

BLOG BONUS

It's been about a month since I started this blog, and I am already amazed at the difference that I have noticed in my life. As far as I can tell, the blog has helped me quite a bit. Just the act of writing things down (whether within blog posts or just as a note to myself) has had a huge impact.

I've been led to think and evaluate things more clearly. I think it is a good mental exercise to sit and think for a few minutes, with a goal in mind. Surprisingly, I feel like I am much more physically and mentally active as a result.

Researching something and writing it down is a great way to embed it in my memory. The act of writing things down has worked just like it used to in elementary school, and I find that once I write a post, I don't need to re-read it (but having it available in case I forget gives me much peace of mind).

Writing down the things that I want to do has helped me to focus. Instead of wandering from one project or activity to another, I feel like I have been able to anchor myself a bit better. Jotting things down allows me to hold onto ideas for the future so that I can let them go for a while. As a result, I don't feel the need to do 1,000 things at once.

Just having a blog has changed the way I look at things. It has caused me to continually search for things to write about. Like a little alarm clock in my mind, when something interests me, my subconscious reminds me to pay attention and remember what I'm seeing.

When I started this whole thing, I wasn't sure that I would really keep up with it... but I'm starting to think it will be around for a while...

No comments: