Monday, January 25, 2010

HOMEMADE BACON

On Saturday morning, I finally completed my first slab of bacon. I lightly smoked the slab with Pecan chips, and recruited some family members to test the bacon with me (and to ensure that I wouldn't die alone if it all went wrong)I have to say, it was wonderful! The bacon was thick, flavorful, and even juicy...You just can't get anything like it in a store, and I'll definitely be making this again.

A few notes for next time...
  • I decided not to let the bacon develop a pellicle. Since I didn't use any nitrates, I just couldn't bring myself to leave the meat exposed like that. There was still plenty of smoky flavor for my taste.
  • The sides of the bacon slab are extremely salty. Next time, cut 1/4" off each side, and save this saltier portion for use as an ingredient in something like soup. (I was devastated when I first tasted the bacon because it was so salty, but it turned out to be fine as I got away from the exposed edge.
  • I ended up smoking the meat on the morning of the 8th day. Next time, I think I should remove the cure on the morning of the 6th day, as the bacon is slightly over salted.
  • Since I didn't use any nitrates, I smoked the bacon at about 300F instead of 200F to cut down the cooking time and avoid bacteria growth... I didn't notice any negative effects from doing this...
Here are the pictures... I went a little overboard, but I just can't help myself when it comes to delicious food...

The bacon in its cure... note the amount of liquid in the bag...

The cured, unsmoked slab of bacon...

halfway through smoking...

Internal temperature at 150F...

Mmmmmmmm........

Into the pan....

Into the mouth...

1 comment:

Ong said...

It was great! And...we lived! Even better!