Wednesday, January 13, 2010

THE PIGGY IS IN THE NEST

OH YEAH.... The bacon has landed... I repeat... the bacon has landed.

Last night, at 9:30, after a class my wife and I are taking, we went to the Freshia Korean market, and by god, they had the pork belly. They had it in slices, they had it in chunks, they had it in pieces, and they had it whole. It was everywhere, like frozen pizzas at an Albertson's. Amazing. If I ever need an odd cut of meat in the future, I'm heading straight to the Asian markets.

Unfortunately, the meat department manager had gone home for the day, so I couldn't get a custom sized piece off a whole belly (which they DID have in stock), but I did manage to find a 2.5 pound piece of pork that looks gorgeous, for around $3.50 a pound. It is labeled "black hog", is about 5 or 6 inches wide, and is almost a full 2 inches thick... these are going to be some impressive slices of bacon!

Unfortunately, it was frozen, but I think that will be okay, at least for my first attempt. I just couldn't get over how wide and delicious the future bacon slices looked. I was a little disappointed to notice when I got home that it looks like there could be a couple small bones runnning through one part of the meat. I can't really tell until it defrosts, but it looks like it is pretty close to the surface, and should be easy to trim away...

So... my little slice of heaven is hanging out in the fridge for a few days to defrost, and by around Friday afternoon, it should be ready to head down the path of porky greatness. I'll keep you posted on its progress as things get going....

No comments: